Background

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Om, Nom, Nom...

I love the Kraft magazine.  Their food is easy, appetizing, and uses things that I often stock in my kitchen.  Even better, I'm still getting the magazine for free.  I haven't decided yet if I'm planning to continue with it when I'm sent a subscription form and I have to pay for it.  Argh.  Some of my favourite dishes come out of the Kraft magazine.  Many things that I make regularly.  But, I also cull back issues for things I missed.

Here's a gem from the Fall 2010 edition.  It was easy, and went from, "Oh my gosh, it's after 6:30 and I haven't started cooking!" to table at 7:10.


Ingredients:
2 slices reduced-sodium bacon, chopped
4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil Sun-Dried Tomato Dressing
1 tsp. dried basil leaves
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 Tbsp. Parmesan Cheese, grated 

Method:
1. Cook bacon in large skillet until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet, drain and discard drippings.
2. Add chicken to skillet; cook on medium heat until browned on both sides. Pour dressing over chicken; sprinkle with basil. Cook on low heat 8 to 10 min. or until chicken is done, turning after 5 min.
3. Transfer chicken to serving platter, reserving dressing mixture in skillet. Add tomatoes to skillet; cook on medium-high heat until heated through, stirring occasionally. Stir in bacon; spoon over chicken. Top with cheese. 
 From Kraft What's Cooking


I start with a picture of bacon, because frankly, you can't go wrong with a dish that includes bacon.


So, here's the chicken in dressing.  I couldn't get sundried tomato, so I used pesto.  It smelled amazing.  Even without the bacon in the pan.


As you can see, I halved the chicken.  This was supposed to be a 2 night meal, but then I was waaay hungry last night, and we had running to do, so we went to Pizza Hut.  I made the full sauce, but did half the chicken.  I probably reduced the sauce and cooked it more than the original intent, but it was fantastic.  Even with winter tomatoes.


Here's the final plate.  We had the chicken over basmati rice, with roasted asparagus.  Hmmm...apparantly I took this before the parmesan flourish.  Imagine if you will a pinch of freshly grated cheese, the final touch for those entering the taste zone.
















J liked it.  I was told I could make it again.  I enjoyed it...it had an almost cacciatore look to it, and smelled good enough for the price of admission.  I have made something similar in the past, and will probably make it again.  But there are so many good recipes.  One never knows if they'll return.

No comments:

Post a Comment