Background

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Chicken Thursday: Salsa-Chicken Tostadas

J and I both love Mexican food.  Living here in the Great White North as we do (despite the fact that this winter "White" is questionable), there is an incredible dearth of good Mexican.  As a result, we are always on the lookout for good Mexican when visiting the States.  Ask me for recommendations in Michigan and Ohio...there are some great places!
This week, while deciding what to make, I came across this recipe in the Spring 2010 Kraft What's Cooking.  I bought Old El Paso refried beans to use.  Once we realized that this was for Thursday night, we both started saying "Chicken Thursday" in the same accent as the guy in the Old El Paso commercials; proving once again that we don't get out much.

Ingredients:
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2" pieces
1/2 c water
1/2 pkg taco seasoning mix
1 c refried beans, warmed
4 small tostada shells
1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 c salsa
1/4 c sour cream

Method:
1.  Cook the chicken in a large non-stick skillet on medium heat until no longer pink.
2,  Add water and seasoning mix, simmering 5 minutes or until chicken is done and sauce is thick, stirring occasionally.
3.  Spread beans on the tostada shells, top with chicken mixture and toppings.
From Kraft Canada

 You may notice a few things in this picture of my plate as I was about to wrap my whole wheat tortilla and commence eating:
1.  There is a whole wheat tortilla on my plate, not a corn tostada.  I couldn't get tostadas.  And I couldn't be bothered to crisp tortillas in their place.  We folded these bad boys like wraps and ate them.  They're really good.  J says I should make chicken burritos with these, and add mexi rice.  I sense a recipe of my own coming on.
2.  There is no green for the avocado.  The avocado I bought specifically for this recipe because I never buy avocadoes got buried in the baking and clementines on my counter, and I forgot about it.  Hence its sitting there for almost 2 weeks.  No wonder it was bad when I went to make goat cheese and avocado crostini.
All in all, I would make these again, but I'm thinking burritos are in order.  The chicken was so good.  I'd never thought about using taco seasoning like that with chicken.  But I will again.
For sure.

2 comments: