Background

Friday, February 24, 2012

An Eruption of Cheesy Goodness: Volcano Sandwiches

I've said before how much I enjoy the Kraft What's Cooking magazine.  They have things that are fun, simple, tasty, and easy.  And a bunch of things that seem recycled.  I mean, there are only so many ways you can marinate chicken in salad dressing and cook it, despite the plethora of flavours of salad dressings that there are out there.
While I like making new things, I am asked by J to make some of those things that I've tried in the past that are really good.  Here's an example from What's Cooking Fall 2007.  I obviously started making these after we got married.  I don't know if it was because I had hot dog buns lingering in the back of my freezer, or I just thought they looked interesting.
These come from the Kids can Cook section, and I can totally see how these are kid friendly.  They're also husband friendly.  I pretend that I make them healthy by using whole wheat buns.  I present for your enjoyment a great weekend dinner, Cheesy Volcano Meatballs.  It's even Kraft's title, not some bastardized version from when J and I are talking and I can't remember what I'm planning to make is called:
Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
6 Ritz crackers, finely crushed
1/4 c Parmesan cheese, grated
3/4 c pasta sauce, divided
12 cubes old cheddar cheese (about 1 cm)
4 hot dog buns

Method:
1.  Preheat the oven to 400F.
2.  Mix ground beef, cracker crumbs, parmesan and 1/4 c pasta sauce.  Shape into 12 meatballs, using about 2 Tbsp for each meatball.
3.  Place on a rimmed baking sheet that is lined with foil.  Press a cube of cheese into the centre of each meatball.
4.  Bake 15 minutes until meatballs are done.  Microwave remaining sauce for 30 seconds until heated through, and spoon onto the bottom of the hot dog buns.  Fill with 3 meatballs and serve hot.


From Kraft Canada


So good on a weekend night with low-sodium chips and home made dill pickles.  Who needs Subway?

No comments:

Post a Comment