Background

Monday, February 27, 2012

Pinteractive: Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Soup

This is my Pinteractive post for the week.  Click on the badge over there ------> to go to Nanette's blog and see all the Pinteractive posts!
So, it's week 2 of Pinteractive for me, and once again I've managed to make a recipe from my board-o-stuff to try.  In fact, I also tried out something I'd seen all over Pinterest in this recipe, and it worked!  But more about that later.
J and I both love Mexican food.  Good Mexican.  The kind of Mexican not available in Canada.  It is not surprising, then, that the grocery store does not really stock what you need to make Mexican dishes at home.  I found this recipe while on foodgawker (I think), and pinned it immediately. It combined so many things I love:  soup, the crockpot, and Mexican food.  Once I reached my local grocery store, there were only 2 problems:
1.  This country does not carry Rotel
2.  I couldn't find enchilada sauce.
So I hemmed and hawed, trying to decide what to do, and came up with a couple of substitutes after deciding that I didn't want to wait until I went to the States in March to make the soup.
Then, I went to another grocery store to pick up something quick.  It was right next to the Mexican section, and lo and behold, there was enchilada sauce!  Seeing as I knew I wasn't going to be getting lucky with Rotel, I made the soup Saturday.  I present to you now my Pinterest recipe for this week, Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Soup via Dainty Chef's Blog:

Ingredients:
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
1/2 c chicken broth
2 c milk
1-15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1-14.5 oz can Rotel diced tomatoes and jalapenos
10 oz frozen corn
1 onion, chopped
½ bell pepper, diced
1-10 oz Enchilada sauce
2 whole chicken breasts
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Method:
1.  Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in flour; keep stirring until smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat and add the chicken broth and 1/2 cup milk, a little at a time, stirring to keep smooth. Return to heat. Bring sauce to a gentle boil; cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens. In a large bowl, whisk together the enchilada sauce and chicken broth mixture . Gradually whisk in remaining milk until smooth. Set aside.
2.  In a crockpot, combine drained beans, tomatoes, corn, onion, and bell pepper. Place the chicken breasts on top of the mixture. Pour sauce mixture over ingredients in cooker. Cover; cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours. When you are ready to serve, remove chicken and cut or shred into bite-sized pieces. Add chicken back into the soup, mix together. Top with cheese and serve.

From So Tasty, So Yummy



Isn't this pretty?  It's the black beans, corn, petite cut tomatoes and garlic I subbed for the Rotel (I should have added a can of green chiles too), and onion (no green pepper...I'm not a fan) before I added the chicken and the broth/milk/sauce mixture.
So, you know that post on Pinterest about shredding warm cooked chicken breasts in your KA with the paddle attachment, and how easy it is?  Here I am shredding chicken.  It's great.  Don't leave it on while looking for your camera too long...the chicken gets very fine.  Or so I've been told.
After addng the chicken, I tasted the soup and decided that it needed something.  My guess is the missing chiles.  I added a healthy amount (read:  I opened the bag and sprinkled it over until it looked good) of Penzey's Bold Taco Seasoning, and a large glug (read: poured from the bottle before tasting and adding another sploosh) of lime juice.  Those tweaks perked the flavour, and it was lovely!

I dressed the bowls with a dollop of sour cream and shredded cheese.  Yum.  I would love to make this again, with the actual tomatoes that are called for.  I think I might end up adding some of the spices and the lime juice again for kick, but it was a wonderful, filling meal.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like my kind of recipe. I'll try it.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds tasty. I love Chicken Tortilla soup. Will have to pin it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this sounds DELISH!

    Belated thanks for linking up! I'm catching up on my commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much, your Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe was very tasty. Your recipe is very easy to follow. Certainly I will share this relationship with my relatives. My family will enjoy it Thanks

    Cake Delivery in Delhi
    Cake Delivery in Noida
    Cake Delivery in Gurgaon

    ReplyDelete