Background

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Retro Dinner: Meatloaf

One of my husband's favourite meals is meatloaf.  Frankly, it is not one of mine.  While I like it the first night when it's screaming hot, it loses its appeal quickly when it is not so much.  J would eat it cold, at least once a week if I'd let him.
A couple of times every winter (because meatloaf isn't a summer food), I break down and make meatloaf for him.  We eat it one night, and then I leave the rest for him to eat for a couple of lunches.  Everyone's happy.
I've tried a few meatloaf recipes over time, but I always return to the one my mom made.  It's easy, and the flavour is really good.
Thankfully, there are very few foods that my husband remembers fondly that his mother made.  Unfortunately, one of those foods is meatloaf.  The first time I made my mom's, J wanted to know if he didn't like it if I'd call his mom for the recipe he remembered.  Then he tasted it, and apparently his mom and my mom used the same recipe.  Whew.
I present for you here my Mom's meatloaf recipe.  I have no idea where it came from...maybe the Lipton's people, maybe my grandmother.  There is no citation.  Just a filling, retro meal:

Ingredients:
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1-1/2 c bread crumbs
3/4 c warm water
1 pkg Onion Soup Mix
1-7.5 oz can Tomato sauce (the small one)
2 Tbsp mustard
2 lb Ground beef

Method:
1.  Beat Eggs, add crumbs, water, onion soup, 1/2 c tomato sauce, mustard and beef.  Mix thoroughly. 
2.  Pack in pan, pour remaining sauce over top.
3.  Bake at 350F for 1 to 1-1/2 hours.

Here it is coming out of the oven.  I used up some leftover sundried tomato and garlic pasta sauce, and it smelled wonderful.
 Dinner for a cold winter's night.  My husband is happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment