Background

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The World's Best Rolls...According to Me

The summer I did the first part of my Blind Teacher qualifications, I was blessed with the fortune of having friends with 2 small girls who lived in Toronto and still let me take over their basement for a month as I was going to school.  I did house sit and dog sit while they were gone, but still.  This is not to be confused with the 8 weekends they let me crash on their couch 5 years later as I took the first part of my Principal's qualifications.  They're good people, and I'm thankful for good friends.
Ahem.  Back to the summer of 1999.  One of the things that we ate that summer that I remember were these rolls.  She kept the batter in the fridge, and would make them.  So good.  I was smart enough to ask for the recipe.  I present it here for you today.  I don't know where it came from, beyond my friend Carolyn.


Unfortunately, there is no ingredient list, just commentary:

Carolyn's Rolls
Melt 1/2 c lard and 1 Tbsp butter in 1c boiling water.  Then dissolve in it 1/2 c sugar and 1-1/2 tsp salt.  Add 1 c cold water and 3 well beaten eggs and 1 pkg of yeast that has been dissolved in 1/2 c lukewarm water with 1 tsp sugar.  Add 7 c bread flour and stir.  Let rise until doubled.  Stir down.  Put in greased muffin tins.  Let rise as long again.  Bake for 10 mins at 375F.
*The rest will keep covered in the fridge for a week.
Simple, right?  I've never tested leaving the batter in the fridge and making as needed.  I always just make the whole thing at once.  It fills 2 muffin tins.  This is a really sticky dough.  DO NOT make it in your bread machine, or use a dough hook.  Use a bowl and a wooden spoon...and maybe your hand.  I always find I need to mix with my fingers for the last cup of flour.  These are great the day after, but fresh out of the oven, oh.  My.  Goodness.
We won't think about why they're amazing, will we?  It's not the lard, eggs and butter...right?

No comments:

Post a Comment