Background

Monday, April 23, 2012

Pinteractive: Stuffed Mexican Shells

This is my Pinteractive post for the week.  Click on the badge over there ------> to go to Nanette's blog and see all the Pinteractive posts!
 
So.
I've said before that J and I are lovers of all food things Mexican.  When I saw this floating around on Pinterest, I knew that I wanted to try it.  Pasta, ground beef, cheese, and spices.  What's not to love?
This doesn't take a huge amount of time to make, but stuffing shells is a labour intensive thing.  Especially if you're like me, and you think you might be able to do it faster with a larger spoon.  That is not the correct answer.  Ever.  A tablespoon is much more successful.  Learn from my pain.
However.  I present to you now Mexican Stuffed Shells:




 Ingredients:
1 lb. ground beef
1 package low-sodium taco seasoning
 4 oz. cream cheese
14-16 jumbo pasta shells
1-1/2 c salsa
1 c taco sauce (This is a smooth, tomato based sauce found in the Mexican section)
1 c cheddar cheese
1 c monterey jack cheese
3 green onions
Sour cream
Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 F

2.  In a frying pan brown ground beef; add taco seasoning and prepare according to package directions. 

3.  Add cream cheese, cover and simmer until cheese is melted. Set aside and cool completely. 

4.  While ground beef is cooking, cook the pasta shells according to directions; drain. Set shells out individually on cutting board/baking sheet so that they don’t stick together.

5.  Pour salsa on bottom of 9x13" baking dish.  Stuff each shell with the meat mixture. Place shells in 9×13 pan open side up. Cover shells with taco sauce. 

6.  Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
7.  After 30 minutes, add shredded cheese and bake for 10-15 more minutes, with the foil removed.  Serve with sour cream and/or more salsa.
 From  The Way to His Heart.
 These were excellent.  A little sinus clearing, but we like things hot, and I used Penzey's Bold Taco seasoning, Pace medium Picante sauce, and Hot Taco sauce.  With just a salad, it was a well rounded meal.  They were equally good the next day reheated.  I also made 20, and had some stuffing left over.  I wondered about using it in wontons like the buffalo chicken wontons.  I've frozen the filling, so we'll see.

I mean, there's melty cheese.  How can you not like something if there's melty cheese?

No comments:

Post a Comment