Background

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Weeknight Meal: Easiest Spaghetti and Meatballs

So.
I hate cooking on weeknights.  Scratch that...I hate cooking when I've been working all day and I get home exhausted and don't feel like doing anything.  It doesn't matter if I've planned.  Heck, it doesn't matter if I like what we're having.  Work and cooking don't mix.  Especially this time of year when my work is wild and I don't really have time to think.
Last night, I was supposed to make this recipe.  But enter a fight with a dryer vent and a long day getting me home about 7, and I didn't get around to making this.  I would like to say, however, that making this tonight wasn't a huge deal; and the results were delicious.
I present to you now Everyday Food's Easiest Spaghetti and Meatballs.


Ingredients

Coarse salt and ground pepper
1/4 c grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large egg
1 lb ground beef
1/4 c plain dried breadcrumbs
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes in puree
3/4 lb spaghetti
Method:
  1. Set a large pot of water to boil. In a bowl, combine Parmesan, garlic, egg, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Add beef and breadcrumbs; mix gently. Form into 16 balls.
  2. In a Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium. Add meatballs, and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover partially, and cook, stirring occasionally, until meatballs are cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, cook pasta until al dente. Drain, and return to pot; add meatballs and sauce, and toss gently. Serve with Parmesan.
From Everyday Food, March 2009

 I didn't put the spices or garlic called for in the recipe in.  I was in a hurry, so I used Epicure Selection's pesto spices instead.  They smelled amazing while cooking.
I did learn, however, that I should have used a non-stick pan.  Or I need to learn how to cook meatballs.  They stuck and some of them fell apart.  It was still yummy.  It also took only the 30 minutes that the recipe states it should take.  I love that part.

And I have dinner for tomorrow too.  Score.

No comments:

Post a Comment