Background

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Make Ahead Meals: Cheesy Chicken and Rice Bake

So.
I'm always looking for new recipes that I can make ahead and have J shove in the oven so we can eat about 15 minutes after I get home.  Such is the life of a type-A personality that will not allow her husband to do things in her kitchen that might not work out as expected.  You know, like the time he thought he put the dual burner on low, but it was really on high and he tried to burn chili to the bottom of the Le Crueset Dutch Oven.
He is, however, fully capable and willing to put pre-made casseroles in a cold oven and turn it on.  I'm always looking for things that I can make early that won't be adversely affected by the wait time.
I was poking around Pinterest one night and found this recipe.  It looked simple, filling, and like a possibility.  It's just not really June food.  I'm looking forward to making it again in November.
I present to you now Tasty Kitchen's Cheesy Chicken and Rice Bake:

Ingredients:
2 whole Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
4 c Cooked Rice
3/4 c Frozen Corn
15 oz can Black Beans, Drained And Rinsed
1 cup Sour Cream
4 oz can of Green Chilis
1/2 c Salsa
1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese, Plus More For Topping

 Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 350F. 

2.  In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly to combine. Make sure the sour cream and cheese are stirred in throughout the entire bowl. Season with salt and pepper if desired.

3.  Transfer to an oven-safe dish and top with extra cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until heated through.
 From Tasty Kitchen

I used 2 cooked chicken breasts that I chopped.  I also made a package of Uncle Ben's Butter and Garlic flavoured rice that I apparently bought at some point.  It wasn't a strong flavour, and I think the garlic flavour added something to the recipe.  I put the rice in the bowl and stirred each ingredient into it, starting with the sour cream and cheese.  That meant that they were well incorporated.
This made a ton.  I used 2 casserole dishes, and we got 3 hearty meals out of the casserole.  J didn't mind.  He loved the flavour.  I would have liked a little more salsa, but there's always next time.
Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment