Background

Monday, August 13, 2012

Homestyle Classic: Peach Cobbler

So.
When my mother in law passed away, my sisters in law cleaned out her kitchen.  They left me a pile of cookbooks that they didn't want to go through and a kit to make pumpkin loaves because they knew I liked to cook.  I took a couple of small magazines, the loaf kit (which was delicious...I made mini loaves that we shared with friends), and one cookbook, Betty Crocker's Ultimate Bisquick Cookbook.  Yeah.
I bought a box of Bisquick and tried a few things, nothing which really thrilled us.  But then I made this cobbler.  As I said in the past, I made peach cobbler once a year.  J will tolerate it, and I love it the first night, and then reheated to pretend that it's still the first night.
I present to you now Peach Cobbler:


Ingredients:
1/3 c sugar
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp cinnamon
6 peaches, cut into 1/2" slices (about 6 cups)
2 Tbsp water
2 tsp lemon juice
1 c Bisquick mix
2 Tbsp sugar
1/3 c milk
1 Tbsp butter, melted

Method:
1.  Heat oven to 400 F.  In a 4 quart saucepan, mix 1/3 c sugar, the cornstarch and cinnamon.  Stir in peaches, water and lemon juice.  Heat to boiling, stirring constantly; boil and stir 1 minute.  Pour into an ungreased baking dish.
2.  In a medium bowl, stir Bisquick, 1 tbsp of the sugar (or both, if you don't read the directions), the milk and butter until a soft dough forms.
3.  Drop dough by 6 tablespoonfuls onto the hot peach mixture.  Sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of sugar over the dough (or skip this step when you read this direction and realize that you should have read ahead)
4.  Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden.
From Betty Crocker Ultimate Bisquick Cookbook.

This looks a lot like the peach sorbet recipe.  It ends up thicker as well.  As with making lemon pie filling, it's ready when the liquid turns clear and thickens.
I had issues dividing this out evenly.  But seeing as things melt down during the cooking process, I didn't worry about that too much.
Oddly enough, I have no picture of this done.  Sometimes I think I need to learn a good recipe where I make my own biscuits for the top.  But there's still some Bisquick in the box, so not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment