Background

Monday, December 17, 2012

Dinner with Friends: Pork Tenderloin with Red Onion Compote

So.
As previously blogged, my mom came and stayed over the night of American Thanksgiving.  I decided that it was a good time to make something new and different and maybe a little fancy.  My mom's always up for something new and different.
A couple of weeks ago, I managed to get my 2013 Milk calendar despite the fact that I do not subscribe to a paper.  I flipped through it and found a bunch of things that I'm interested in making in the near future.  I always find the Milk calendars to be a bit hit or miss:  either you like everything or you like nothing.  Based on the first recipe, I'm willing to try more things.  We'll see.  Perhaps that should be one month of the challenge:  Milk calendars.  Hmmmmm....
While I think, I present to you now the 2013 Milk Calendar's Pork Tenderloin with Red Onion Compote:


Ingredients
500g Pork tenderloin (about 1)
1 Tbsp butter
1 large red onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
1/2 tsp dried rosemary, crumbled
1 Tbsp flour
1 c Milk
2 Tbsp Cider Vinegar
1 Tbsp Maple Syrup

Method
1.  Preheat oven to 400 F.
2.  Cut pork into 1-inch thick medallions, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper.
3.  Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, and melt butter. Brown pork, turning once, until golden.  Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet and roast in over for 10 minutes.  Remove from oven, tent with foil, and let rest for 5 minutes.
4.  Meanwhile, add onion to skillet with rosemary and a sprinkle of salt and pepper and saute until the onions start to soften.  Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to cook until onions are softened and browning.  Whisk flour into milk and gradually add to the skillet.  Simmer and stir until thickened.  Stir in vinegar and syrup.
5.  Spoon onions onto plate and top with pork to serve.
Serves 4
From the 2013 Milk Calendar.

We got lucky at the grocery store a few weeks ago when pork tenderloin was on sale.  I stocked up.  J isn't a fan of pork, so I don't cook it often.  But he will tolerate tenderloin.  I think he was a little disappointed that I wasn't making the grilled pork tenderloin that I made a few times this summer.  Then I made a sauce with syrup.  He couldn't put it on potatoes.
This was good.  Mom and I liked it better than J.  The onions ended up tasting almost like apples.  The rosemary was great with them.  The pork was lovely too.
I would have liked something to put over my potatoes too, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment