Background

Friday, December 28, 2012

Fish for Friday: Salmon and Feta Burgers

So.
In the summer, I promised J that I would cook fish once a week.  I'm still not a fan of fish, but I've started broiling a whole lot of salmon this winter.  Fresh salmon is something that I'm finding not hard to take.  Especially when it's very fresh and not particularly fishy. 
In flipping through my copy of the Looneyspoons Collection, I came across this recipe.  Surprisingly, I wanted to make it.  J wasn't complaining.  He loves fish. 
I present to you now the Looneyspoons Collection Dilly Whoppers:


Ingredients
680g boneless, skinless salmon filet, cut into chunks
1 c fresh breadcrumbs
60g feta cheese, crumbled
1/4 c minced shallots
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 egg
1 tsp dried dill
1 tsp lemon zest
Salt and pepper to taste

Method
1. Place salmon chunks in a food processor, and pulse on and off until salmon is chopped into very small pieces.  Transfer to a bowl, and add remaining ingredients.  Mix well using your hands.
2.  Form mixture into 6 patties, and place on a plate.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
3.  Heat a small amount of oil in a non-stick pan.  Add patties and cook about 4 minutes until cooked through.  Turn gently. 
4.  Serve on whole-grain rolls with lettuce, tomatoes and mustard.
From The Looneyspoons Collection

I don't own a big food processor.  While I might ask Santa for one for Christmas next year, I do have a mini chopper that does an admirable job.  I asked for an immersion blender as a wedding gift, and got this one with a whisk attachment and chopper as well as the blender.  They're all useful.  In this case, the chopper was perfect for breadcrumbs...as well as the salmon.
I ended up having to do this in a few batches.  A pound and a half of salmon is quite a bit.  I found when it was chopped that it was fluffy, for lack of a better word.  The mixture was a lot less dense than when making hamburgers.    But the patties weren't difficult to form.
J had never eaten shallots before.  Mincing something this tiny was easy.  I diced them the same way I would dice an onion, just to scale.  The pieces were small enough and easy to work with.  Frankly, the mixture smelled more of the shallots than of fish.
Here are things, ready for the fridge.  I made the 6 patties, cooked 2 for dinner and froze the rest for future dinners.  We'll see what freezing does to them.
Weirdly, this is the last picture I have.  I have no pictures of a cooked patty, nor do I have a picture of them on buns.  I will tell you they were yummy.  The best part was the melted feta.  J was happy.  Yet another way to eat fish once during the week.

1 comment:

  1. One of the key benefits of structured settlements is that they provide financial security for the plaintiff over the long term, helping to ensure that they have a steady stream of income to cover their expenses and medical bills. Additionally, the structured settlement can be tailored to the individual's needs and circumstances, taking into account factors such as their age, health, and life expectancy. Structured Settlements

    ReplyDelete