Background

Monday, December 24, 2012

Winter Dessert: Warm Banana Pudding with Chocolate Chips and Pecans

So.
Growing up, two of the many things I wasn't keen on were bananas and bread pudding.  You would think it's odd that I saw this and decided that I wanted to make it.  But the picture looked so yummy, and there were chocolate chips...we decided to give it a try.
J had never had bread pudding before.  He wasn't really sure what to expect.  But thankfully, he's willing to try anything that I decide to make.  He may not like it, but he's willing to give it a shot.  There's really nothing else you can ask for.
I made this on Sunday and we had dessert for a week.  It does make a lot.  But it's yummy.  Even reheated in the microwave.
I present to you now the Looneyspoons Collection's You're Pudding Me On:


Ingredients
10 slices multigrain bread
2 c 1% milk
2 c mashed ripe banana
1 c vanilla flavoured yogurt
3 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 c packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 c chocolate chips
2/3 c chopped pecans

Method
1.  Cube bread into 1-inch chunks, and place in a 9x13 baking dish that has been well greased.  The dish will be full of bread pieces.
2.  In a bowl, whisk together milk, bananas, yogurt, eggs, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon.  Pour over bread mixture and mix with your hands.  Let stand 15 minutes to soak.
3.  Preheat oven to 350F
4.  Before putting in oven, sprinkle with chocolate chips and pecans and mix.
5.  Bake for 50 minutes until pudding is puffed and golden and the centre is set.  Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
From The Looneyspoons Collection

Here is my cubed multigrain bread.  I'm thinking I probably could have done a slice less, but it all worked out in the end.
Things are mixed and are soaking.  I rediscovered a love of vanilla yogurt making this.  I portioned the rest of it out and ate it for lunch.  I'm thinking in the new year I want more vanilla yogurt.  Yum.  I don't have a picture of the pudding with the chocolate chips and nuts before it went in the oven.  This is not a camera-friendly dish.  You keep having to mix things with your hands.
Mmmmm...warm yummy dessert.  A little overdone, but still good.  We reheated on subsequent occasions in the microwave.  It was still good.  Just the thing for a cold winter's night.




No comments:

Post a Comment