Background

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Magazine Challenge: March Planning

So.
I'm still working on my 12 recipes from the January/February issue of Everyday Food, but it's a new month, and in March 2005 there was an issue.  As a result, I will continue to make the rest of my Jan/Feb finds, but I have another 6 recipes to complete. 
6 seems so much more doable than 12 were.  The problem with this month:  things I wanted to make that I don't already make and like.  J's not crazy about fruit, so the warm fruit desserts and the pineapple recipes were out.  He also doesn't like coconut, so I couldn't make the coconut layer cake.  There's a coffee cake that looks suspiciously like the one I already make that is a recipe from my mom, and I already make Martha's soft polenta...it's good enough that I don't really want anything on it; I could just eat a bowl of it for dinner.
But enough with the whining.  Here's what I finally came up with for this month.  Some of it is pretty avant garde for my kitchen.  Some of it will probably be right up J's alley.  But whatever happens, I'm hoping to complete this month in a month.  With a week of vacation, it should happen!
Here's what will be on the menu this month (along with a lot more):
1.  Mini meatballs (There is a recipe to make them, and then 3 ways to serve.  J likes the sound of all 3)
2.  Salmon with Couscous Pilaf (There are raisins in the pilaf.  J's not sold, but I told him tough)
3.  Ham and Potato Bake (This is called a crustless quiche by the writers.  I hope so.)
4.  Cherry Tomato Crisp (J's not sold on this one either.  Baked tomatoes.  Should be good)
5.  Lentil Walnut Burgers (Don't tell him it's on the list.  We're going to try different meatless)
6.  Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies (J wants to know when we're going to have just plain chocolate chip cookies.  It won't be March)
So, it should be an interesting month.  Here's seeing how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment