Background

Friday, March 29, 2013

Meatball Week: Meatball Hero Sandwiches

So.
With a container of meatballs in the freezer, we had to try some of the other recipes that were in the March 2005 issue of Everyday Food.  The beauty of things like this is that after you make the batch of meatballs, things cook up pretty quick.  I probably should have made a double batch of meatballs so that I don't run out anytime soon.
I actually thought that these would be even better than the pizzas.  I think it may be a toss-up.  While both involve meatballs, onions and carbs, the similarities end there.  Both are delicious.  There is no cheese in the sandwich.  We didn't want it and we didn't miss it.
I present to you now from the March 2005 issue of Everyday Food, Mini Meatball Heros:


Ingredients:
1 onion, halved and sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, seeds removed and sliced
1 zucchini, halved crosswise and lengthwise and sliced into strips
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
salt
10 mini meatballs
2 hero rolls, split

Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 400F.  Toss vegetables with olive oil and Italian seasoning.  Spread on a baking sheet and bake 15 minutes.
2.  Season vegetables with salt and drizzle with vinegar before tossing and pushing to one end of the baking sheet.  Place meatballs at the other end and return to the oven for 15 minutes.
3.  Bake until meatballs are cooked through and vegetables are tender.  Serve on rolls.
 From Everyday Food, March 2005

So the vegetables are ready to cook.  I was afraid when I started that there would be too many for the rolls, not thinking that they would roast for 30 minutes at 400F.  There was enough without being too much.  They also smelled amazing while cooking.  Even before I added the meatballs for cooking.
The sandwich didn't really close when I added the meatballs, but you could squeeze the bread shut.  They weren't as messy as I expected and the flavour was wonderful.
J's not sure I should keep trying the recipes for the mini meatballs.  He likes the ones I've made already.  We'll have to revisit them sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment