Background

Monday, April 22, 2013

So Good: Chicken Black Bean Enchilada Pie

So.
It's a well-established fact that we love Mexican here on the Mountain.  It's also a well-established fact that I love Pinterest.  This is one of the happy stories of Pinterest and my Mexican food love coming together in a weeknight dinner that J tells me I can make whenever I want.
Once again, I was looking at jesser's pins and this caught my eye.  The sauce was easy, the ingredients are things I keep in the house, and it took me about 15 minutes to throw this together and get it in the oven.  Dinner in an hour?  Don't mind if I do!
When I have made Mexican lasagna in the past, I've had issues with the tortillas on the bottom drying out and being uncuttable.  That didn't happen in this case.  Then again, the lowest tortilla wasn't right on the bottom.  I might let it sit a little longer before cutting, but it was all good.
I present to you now Make and Take's Chicken Black Bean Enchilada Pie:


Ingredients:
1 Tbsp oil
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 chicken breasts, cooked and diced
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
2-10 oz cans red enchilada sauce
1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce, minced
8 small flour tortillas
3 c shredded cheddar cheese
Sour cream to garnish

Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 350F.  Soften onion in oil over medium-high heat.  Add garlic and continue to cook.  Add chicken, beans, sauce and chipotle.  Let simmer until thickened slightly.
2.  Pour 1 cup of the sauce into the bottom of a 3 quart baking dish.  Cover with tortillas, tearing to fit.  Top with another cup of sauce, then cheese.  Continue with tortillas, layering to finish with cheese on top (I think I made 3 layers).
3.  Bake 30-40 minutes, until golden and bubbly.  Let stand before slicing and serving.  Serve with a dollop of sour cream.
From Make and Takes
 Here's the sauce.  I chopped the chicken finely instead of shredding.  J had cooked 2 breasts for me earlier in the day while I was at work.  I also think in the future I'd like to take a shot at making my own enchilada sauce.  I can't believe it's hard to do, and it would be even better in terms of flavour.
And into the oven!  I think it baked for about 30 minutes - really until the cheese was browned (yum) and bubbly.  The whole thing was cooked before it ever went in the oven.
Mmmmm...browned cheese.  My favourite.  I let it sit about 5 or 10 minutes before slicing.  Things didn't come out pretty, but it was still tasty.
Okay, in this picture it looks pretty good.  And it was.  Comfort food for winter.  The problem is, next winter there will be other things I want to make too.

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh. I love anything like this. We make one that's polenta on the bottom and a mix of mashed pintos, salsa, corn and some spices on top baked and then you add cheese. YUM.

    ReplyDelete