Background

Monday, December 2, 2013

Cold Weather Meal: Chili Tortellini

So.
I seem to spend a lot of time on the computer.  Most nights, I sit on the couch, watching TV, with the laptop in my lap.  Mainly I play Candy Crush and browse Pinterest.
For the most part, I look at food on Pinterest.  I have about 250 pins of things that I think look delicious and makeable.  This is one of those pins.
I want to say that I got this from jesser, but I'm not really sure.  I mentioned it to J, and he thought I needed to make this sooner rather than later.  With packages of tortellini in the freezer, why not.
I present to you now Picky Palate's Chili Tortellini:


Ingredients:
1 lb frozen tortellini
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 large, finely chopped onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb ground beef
Salt and Pepper
4 c chicken broth
2 - 15 oz. cans beans (I used all black beans)
1-15 oz. can Rotel
2 Tbsp Taco seasoning

Method:
1.  Heat oil in a large pan or Dutch Oven.  Add onion and garlic, stirring frequently, until translucent.  Add ground beef and cook until browned.  Add broth, beans, tomatoes and seasoning.  Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
2.  Add tortellini, cover and simmer until tortellini is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Adapted from Picky Palate

I chopped my onion much more finely than usual.  I think a rougher chop would work in this too.  Like chili, this came out almost as a soup.
 I have a big lidded skillet that I got ages ago from Pampered Chef.  It's my go-to pot for this kind of thing.  I was afraid that it wouldn't be quite big enough...but thankfully it was.
He's the finished product.  The frozen cheese tortellini really added something to this.  I might add a can of tomato sauce next time, just to make things a bit thicker.  But ultimately, it was a nice meal for a cold rainy evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment