Background

Monday, December 23, 2013

Weeknight Dinner: Greek Marinated Chicken

So.
I know I spend too much time on the computer.  Right now, I'm sitting on the couch, feet up, TV on, blogging.  It's not really multitasking, seeing as I don't really care who wins the football game that's on in the background.  But still.  When I watch TV, I also have a lap top in my lap.
One of the good things about all this computer time is the amount of time that I spend perusing recipes.  There are so many interesting things to look at.
As I've said in the past, one of my favourite places to look for recipes is Pinterest, which almost invariably leads me back to one of my favourite food blogs, BudgetBytes.  Once again, Beth's recipe proved to be easy, filling and darn tasty.  I have marinated in yogurt before, but it always seems like a revelation when I do so.
This meal was nicely economical because I went to the store and there was an in-store special of packages of 8 drumsticks for $5.  I know! That's 2 meals around here. 
What I would say is that you need to use chicken pieces with the skin still on.  It holds the marinade and crisps nicely.  But beyond that, this is all up to you.
I present to you now Budget Bytes' Greek Marinated Chicken:


Ingredients:
1 c plain yogurt (I used Greek...it was the only unflavoured I could find)
2 Tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1-1/2 tsp dried oregano
The zest and juice of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper, to taste
Bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces

Method:
1.  In a gallon Ziploc bag, combine yogurt through pepper.  Mix well.  Drop chicken pieces in bag, and seal before massaging chicken well to ensure that all pieces are coated.  Refrigerate 30 mins - 1 hour and let marinate.
2.  Place marinated chicken in a 9x13 pan.  Discard remaining marinade.  Bake at 375F for 45 mins - 1 hour, until tops are golden brown.
From Budget Bytes

Here's the chicken in the bag.  I had another picture of chicken and marinade, side by side, but Blogger won't let me load it.  Whatever.  Remove as much air as possible from the bag and give it a good roll around to make sure everything is well coated.  The marinade smells amazing!  I bet it would make a good dip.
I didn't really degoopify the chicken before I put it in the pan.  I figured more stuff=more flavour.  I don't regret that decision.  The chicken was moist and delicious.  That is probably due at least in part to my using skin on dark meat, but the marinade would help.
This smelled so good...and tasted as good.  There are notes that this can be cooked on the grill, but I don't recommend waiting that long to make this!

No comments:

Post a Comment