Background

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

So Good: Simple Cheesy Chicken Tortilla Casserole

So.
J and I are up against it this week.  I have meetings every night until Thursday, and we need to eat.  J is making chili for us one night this week, which will make leftovers for another night.  That meant I needed to come up with two nights of meals for us.
I have an ongoing problem with getting dinner on the table when I get home from work.  I often sit down, and it's suddenly 7 and I haven't done a thing about dinner, or I don't get home until 7 and I'm wiped.  We're not as good about using the crockpot as we could be, and I don't always look for things that I can assemble the night before.  But sometimes, even I get lucky. 
While surfing around, I found this absolutely delicious looking casserole.  I was fairly sure that I could make it the night before and leave it in the fridge to be cooked the next night.  Everything in it?  Pantry staples here on the mountain, and flavours we love.  A winner, for sure.
When looking at the recipe, I knew that I wouldn't be able to find fresh pico de gallo in my grocery store.  I had a look at the source recipe and knew that I could make some substitutions to combine the recipes and make something that would work for us.
I present to you now Shockingly Delicious' Simple Cheesy Chicken Tortilla Casserole:


Ingredients:
6 medium whole wheat tortillas (not burrito size, the smaller one)
3 c cooked, shredded chicken breast (about 2 large)
1 can Rotel, drained
1 c salsa
1-1/2 c cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
1 c sour cream
1 c chicken broth
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp chili powder

Method:
1.  Grease a 9x13" pan.  Roll tortillas in groups of 2 and slice into pieces about 1/4" wide.
2.  In a large bowl, combine tortilla strips, chicken, Rotel, salsa and 1 cup of cheese.  In a large measuring cup, combine sour cream, broth, chili powder and garlic until smooth.  Pour the sour cream mixture over the chicken mixture and combine.
3.  Pour the chicken mixture into the prepared pan and top with remaining cheese.  Cover pan with foil.
You can prepare up to this point, and then refrigerate overnight.
4.  Preheat oven to 350F.  Bake casserole, covered for 45 minutes until hot and bubbly.  Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes to brown slightly.
From Shockingly Delicious

I cut up the tortillas, wondering if the pieces were going to be too big, but with the liquid they softened and were easy to cut apart.
The original recipe used condensed cream of chicken soup.  I don't think that I would have made the recipe if it used the condensed soup.  The sour cream mixture was lovely, and really kept with the Mexican flavours of the casserole.
Ready for the oven.  I don't think time in the fridge hurt this at all.  The tortillas would have had more time to soak up flavour.
Doesn't this look good?  It smelled amazing.  It had a really good spicy kick, and we loved it.  Seeing as I made 3 chicken breasts and now have shredded chicken lurking in my freezer, I'd say I'll be making this again soon.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Sarah,
    Your blog is quite impressive and it is just too perfect for our project!! Great recipes!! We would like to add your blog to the Top Food Blog list in mytaste.com/ .
    Adding your blog to our site will make your recipes available to our users (3million Users). Many blogs are already member and benefit from their exposure on us. MyTaste is one of the biggest worldwide when it comes to recipe search; it is also a social platform for foodies and blog/sites owners like you.
    To ADD YOUR BLOG or see who join the Top Food Blog list, here’s the link http://www.mytaste.com/top-food-blogs
    You help us, we help you.
    Please be kind enough to reply to this message so we should know that you have received it. Thank you for your attention and cooperation. For any questions- info@mytaste.com. We hope to see you there soon!
    Warm Regards

    ReplyDelete