Background

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Bride of Magazine Challenge: Teriyaki Chicken Wings

So.
You know how you go to the grocery store and buy things that are on at a great price, blithely having no clue what you plan to do with your awesome score because you meal plan?  So then you put it in the freezer, knowing that you will make something awesome that will be super cheap and you will gloat about what you made with that thing you bought?
Me neither.
I make the super score, bring said item home, put it in the chest freezer, and promptly forget about my great shopping prowess.  Until months later, I go freezer diving looking for something else and find what I bought.
These wings would be a case in point.  I think J and I bought them in the fall when they were on sale, thinking we would have them one Saturday during football season.  I think.  No matter.  The important part of this story is that I found the package of wings in my freezer while looking for something else along with the sad ends of a 5 pound bag of broccoli from Costco.  By happy coincidence I had been reading the April 2006 issue of Everyday Food looking for things to make.  The Cooking for One article fit the bill for both using up the broccoli bits and the wings. 
This dinner used up both, and J told me that I'll need to make these wings again during football season.  You know, if I buy wings again when they're on sale and stick them in the freezer for a special occasion...or a Tuesday.
I present to you now from the April 2006 issue of Everyday Food, Teriyaki Chicken Wings:

Ingredients:
8-10 wing pieces per person
3 Tbsp seasoned rice wine vinegar
3 Tbsp soy sauce
3 Tbsp honey

Method:
1.   Line a baking sheet with foil for easy cleanup.  Move top oven rack to approximately 4" away from the broiler.  Preheat broiler.
2.  Spread wings in a single layer on foil and broil for 20 minutes, until light golden in colour, turning once.
3.  Combine vinegar, soy sauce and honey in a small bowl.  Baste wings with the sauce, turning to coat, and basting both sides.  Broil again for 5 minutes.  Baste with pan juices before serving.
 Adapted from Everyday Food, April 2006

This sauce?  So yummy.  I had to melt my honey, so it went into the sauce warm and stirred in easily.
Here are the wings, basted and headed back into the oven.  I was thrilled that I didn't rip the foil when I turned the wings.  They smelled so good when I put them back under the broiler with the sauce.
They came out glazed and gorgeous.  Martha made rice with fresh broccoli to serve with.  I made Minute Rice in the microwave with the pulverized end of a bag of broccoli at the same time.  It was perfect.  I stirred it all together, and it went well with the sweet/salt combination of sauce on the wings.  Just right for any night of the week, football or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment