Background

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Bride of Magazine Challenge: Coffee Cake Muffins

So.
In my quest to eat breakfast, I don't always think of muffins, but I think that perhaps I should.  It would be easy to make muffins more often than I do, and make a variety.  They freeze well, and can be changed up to suit what's in the cupboard.
Take these muffins as a case in point.  While there is a streusel topping on these muffins, there's very little else that makes me think "Coffee Cake".  No cinnamon, no nuts, but the original recipe called for raisins, which I guess you could put in coffee cake if that's how you roll.  That's not how I roll.
But I was pretty sure that these muffins would be wicked boring with nothing in them.  I still had some dried cherries leftover from making Hot Cross Buns, and I also had a small package of dried blueberries.  Both of those would be excellent in coffee cake!  And really, if I didn't have either of those, chocolate chips would be darn tasty in these little cakes too.
Plus, it's a recipe towards the Magazine Challenge.    That's not a bad thing.
I present to you now from the April 2006 issue of Everyday Food, Coffee Cake Muffins:

Ingredients:
6 Tbsp butter, divided
1/2 c brown sugar
2 c flour, divided
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 c white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 c buttermilk
1/2 c dried cherries and blueberries, mixed
Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 350F.  Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
2.  Make the streusel:  In a small bowl, cut 2 Tbsp butter into brown sugar and 1/2 cup flour.  Cut until coarse crumbs form.  Set aside.
3.  In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Stir with a whisk to combine.  In a second bowl, beat butter and white sugar until light and fluffy.  Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Add flour and buttermilk alternately, beginning and ending with flour, beating just until combined.  Fold in dried fruit.
4.  Divide batter evenly between muffin cups.  Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with the streusel topping.  Bake at 350F for 18-20 minutes, until golden.  Let stand 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
 From Everyday Food, April 2006 (Martha doesn't have this recipe on her website.  You're just going to have to trust me)
This is a great basic recipe.  The buttermilk and baking powder and soda meant there was great rise in the batter.  I wished I had a full 1/2 cup of cherries, but not so much.
I sprinkled liberally and popped the pan in the oven.
So yummy with a glass of milk for breakfast!  Or a cuppa in the afternoon.  Thanks Martha!

1 comment:

  1. You have really done the great work because here you have told about not only the recipe but also its procedure so thanks a lot author. But if you can make one dessert item as well this one is baklava then I don't need to buy baklava online because after knowing that recipe I can make it by my own.

    ReplyDelete