Background

Friday, July 11, 2014

Bride of Magazine Challenge: Potatoes Vinaigrette

So.
It's no secret that I'm suspicious of cream sauces and dressings.  I'm not a fan of creamy salads or spreads on sandwiches.  Frankly, I prefer things I've made myself so I know exactly what's in them.
Summer salads often run into this problem for me, especially at a BBQ or picnic.  I would prefer to add my own dressing, and I skip the salads for the raw vegetables that I'll often eat without the dip (I'll also eat salad leaves straight out of the serving bowl.  I like plain raw vegetables)
J sometimes talks about his mother's potato salad, and how she'd use mustard and little to no mayonnaise.  I never make potato salad, so when I saw this it reminded me of J's talking about a mustard based potato salad.
It also reminded me of France, where I had a host mother who would take leftover boiled potatoes and cooked haricots verts, and toss them in a dijon vinaigrette for lunch on Sunday.  Frankly, it reminded me most of eating outside on a sunny day in France.  Good times.
I present to you now from the June 2006 issue of Everyday Food, Potatoes Vinaigrette:

Ingredients:
1-1/2 lbs new white potatoes, scrubbed
1/4 c white vinegar
1 Tbsp creamy dijon mustard
1 Tbsp whole grain mustard
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
Method:
1.  In a saucepan, combine cold water to cover the potatoes.  Bring to a boil, and simmer 12-14 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.  Drain and set aside to cool slightly.
2.  In a bowl, stir together vinegar, the mustards, and the oil.  When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, quarter the potatoes, add to the dressing and toss before covering to cool completely in the fridge.
3.  Before serving, chop the celery and toss with the potatoes.

Adapted from Everyday Food, June 2006

The only thing this vinaigrette is missing for a classic flavour is a little lemon.  Martha added the oil later, but I added it at this point.    It was dressing.

My tossed potatoes, waiting for celery.  This was the last picture I took before we demolished the salad.  The flavour was lovely.  I don't want it often, but if I'm going to eat potato salad, this is the way to go.  Thanks Martha.

No comments:

Post a Comment