Background

Monday, September 22, 2014

#10DaysofTailgate: Bacon Cheeseburger Eggrolls

So.
You know how sometimes you make something, and your husband thinks it's so good he eats *6* of them in one sitting and then can't figure out why he doesn't feel well?  No?  Just my house?
This would be the latest recipe that has caused my husband's overeating.
I think the most important thing about food for tailgating is that it is easily portable - not just yummy.  Although yummy is important.  It's always important.  Most people want finger food so that it's easy cleanup and you can try a bunch of different things.  Or one thing.  It's really up to you.
I found this recipe during one of the other fun things I do:  the Secret Recipe Club.  With all the flavours of a bacon cheeseburger in a crispy roll, what's not to love?
I present to you now from Flavours by Four Bacon Cheeseburger Eggrolls:

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
6 slices bacon, chopped and cooked until crispy
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 c shredded cheddar cheese
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 Tbsp prepared mustard
1 Tbsp oil
Sesame Seeds
1 pkg egg roll wrappers
Method:
1.  In a large skillet, brown ground beef with onion, until the onion is translucent.  Add mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and crispy bacon pieces.  Remove from heat, and let cool slightly.
2.  Preheat oven to 375F.  To assemble rolls, place a spoonful of meat in a centre of an egg roll wrapper.  Top with cheese.  Spread the edges of the wrapper with water and roll.  (I used this tutorial).
3.  Place wrapped egg rolls on rimmed baking sheet.  Brush with oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds.  Bake at 375F for 15-20 minutes, until golden, and serve immediately.

From Flavors by Four

Yup, there's bacon.  I actually cut it down from the original recipe.  The spices made the filling smell so good!
I just sprinkled the cheese on top, no measuring.  You just don't want to overfill.  I worked until I had no filling left, shredding cheese as I went if I ran out.
I got 13 rolls.  You can see that my technique improved as time went on.
Then brush with oil, sprinkle with sesame seeds, and bake.
So that you have something to eat like this.  We dipped them in ketchup.  They were yummy.  Just don't eat 6 at once.









Here's what the rest of the crew brought to the table...

Starters
Grilled Shrimp with Bloody Mary Dip by Curious Cuisiniere
Carnitas-Stuffed Potatoes with Carrot Karma Pico de Gallo by Culinary Adventures with Camilla

Dips

Mains
Bacon Cheeseburger Egg Rolls by Things I Make (for Dinner)
Brat Bites with Spicy Mustard Dipping Sauce by Cheese Curd In Paradise
Chicken Parmesan Sliders by Debbi Does Dinner Healthy
Cherry Chipotle Meatloaf Sandwiches by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
Cherry Chipotle Meatballs by From Gate to Plate
Asian-Inspired Turkey Burgers by Sew You Think You Can Cook

Sides
SRC Surprise Recipe by A Day in the Life on the Farm

Sweets
Cinnamon Puppy Chow by The Pajama Chef
Almond Chocolate Chip Cookies by Love and Confections

10 comments:

  1. These sound fantastic! My husband and son would go nuts for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bacon, bacon, bacon... and a dash of healthy by baking instead of deep-frying, I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my! I LOVE that you baked these instead of fried them. I am totally going to make these. Maybe this week. Thanks for sharing...and thanks for participating in the #10DaysofTailgate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound fantastic! I love baked egg rolls. We'll be trying this stuffing for the next game day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yum! what a fun filling. i showed them to my ohio state fan husband & he said the michigan plate looked gross. haha :) I think he'd eat them anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummo, these are definitely getting made at my house!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, my husband does the same thing!
    What a great portable burger idea!
    Oh, and Go Blue. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that these are baked. They are so cute, I'll totally have to make them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would probably get a stomach ache,too. These look delicious and I would definitely over indulge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love the idea of making cheeseburger egg rolls ~ fantastic idea. ~ Bea @ The Not So Cheesy Kitchen

    ReplyDelete