Background

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Classics: Cornbread

So.
I think I've posted about my Holly Hobbie Cookbook before.  It's the first cookbook I ever received, and one of the few that's actually followed me over the years.  There are probably only about 3 recipes that I still make from the book, but with an inscription in the front (Christmas 1980, To Sarah from Mom and Dad with Love, Happy Cooking!) I don't think I'm planning to get rid of it any time soon.  Besides, it's been sitting on the couch for a few days and our new kitten has decided that it's a good thing to try and chew.  Yeah.  We got a kitten.
I make cornbread when J makes chili.  It's not something I think of on a regualr basis, but it is tasty.  I enjoyed it in the days after spread with jam for breakfast.  This recipe is quick, simple, and is made of pantry staples.  And frankly, anything baked at home is delicious (and is even more delicious fresh out of the oven with hot chili covered with shredded cheese and sour cream).  I totally recommend it.
I present to you now from Holly Hobbie's Cookbook, Cornbread:

Ingredients:
3/4 c cornmeal
1 c flour
1/4 c sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 c milk
1 egg, well beaten
2 Tbsp butter, melted
Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 425F.  Grease a 9x9" baking pan and set aside.
2.  In a large bowl, stir together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Combine milk and well beaten egg.  Pour into flour mixture.  Mix well, add butter and stir until combined.
3.  Spoon batter into prepared pan and smooth the surface.  Bake at 425F for 20 minutes, until golden.   
From Holly Hobbie's Cookbook 

I only took one picture of the finished product.  Yum.  Just a little crunch, and a buttery taste.  J and I both enjoyed as a side.

1 comment:

  1. I loved Holly Hobbie! Now I'm curious the types of recipes that she'd be sharing in cookbook form. Plus, you don't want to know how old I was Christmas of 1980.

    ReplyDelete