Background

Monday, November 10, 2014

Something different: Stromboli

So.
While I don't often make pizza at home, I do make pizza dough and turn it into calzones with a variety of fillings more often.  I love that calzones are freezable, and make a couple of nights worth of dinners.
One Monday while perusing the offerings from another group's reveal day for the Secret Recipe Club, I came across this recipe for stromboli.  It was so pretty, I wanted to give it a try too.  While not a calzone, I still needed to make pizza dough and create a filling.
On a Sunday night with a salad, this was a lovely dinner.
I present to you now On the Move - In the Galley's Stromboli:

Ingredients:
1 recipe pizza dough (enough for 1 pizza)
1 onion, finely diced
Deli sliced Provolone
4 oz. Prosciutto, or Serrano Ham
1 Tbsp oil
1/4 c shredded Parmesan cheese
Method:
1.  On a pastry sheet, roll the dough out into a rectangle to about 1/4" thick.  Preheat oven to 425F.
2.  Leaving a 1" border, scatter the dough with onions, then layer with prosciutto and provolone.  Starting with 1 long side, roll up jellyroll-style, pinching the ends and the seam to seal well.
3.  Transfer the roll to a baking sheet, seam-side down.  Brush the roll with oil and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.  Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, or until golden.  Let stand 5 minutes to allow the cheese and dough to firm up before slicing.  

Adapted from On the Move - In the Galley

So, probably a little more filling would have been good.  I also think that spreading the dough with pesto would be astounding.
Yep, more cheese would have been good too...except it would have oozed out and away when sliced.  The 8 slices gave it nice flavour.
This smelled wonderful, and looked wonderful coming out of the oven.  I know that I want to try this again.
But even with not too many toppings, this still turned out well.  J has told me I'm welcome to make it again.  Pesto, more ham and cheese?  Don't mind if I do!

1 comment:

  1. This is interesting because my only experience with stromboli is some awful concoction they served up in my elementary school cafeteria. Needless to say I've never had the urge to make my own!! This looks good though. Will bookmark to try. :)

    ReplyDelete