Background

Saturday, January 3, 2015

Son of Magazine Challenge: January/February Planning

So.
A new year means a new year of old Everyday Food Magazines!  This year, I'm working through the third year of EFs that I have in my cupboard, 2007.
2007 was a momentous year here on the mountain.  J moved in, we got married, and I started my last year of teaching before joining the ranks of administration.  Exciting!  Perhaps I should blame all of those things going on in my life for why I seem to have made very little from these issues the first time around.
But no matter.  In one of the few instances where hoarding isn't a problem and can be viewed merely as an opportunity, I'll revisit the issues this year and see what gems there are to be gleaned from their pages.
The Jan/Feb issue, as always, is the Light issue.  It promises to be Heavy on Flavour, and includes a French menu.  Can you guess what piqued my interest?  It also boasts 122 recipes and tips.  I only need 6.  Just as well, when I started looking at recipes.
The All in 1 Bag feature relied heavily on turkey, which J doesn't eat.  There were also a variety of things that I didn't think sounded appetizing to me.  I was commenting to my mother last month that when I look at the recipes that I choose every month, there are very few desserts now.  That is once again the case with only 1 making the list.  Frankly, any of these should be delicious.  And in exciting news, I've already made my first recipe!  I present to you now what we plan to eat around here from the Jan/Feb 2007 issue of Everyday Food:

  • Molten Mocha Cakes
  • Ginger Carrot Soup
  • Salmon Tacos
  • Pork Cutlet with Arugula and Sauteed Tomatoes
  • Weekend Dinner Menu:  Wine-Braised Chicken, Salad with Celery, Red Onion and Croutons, Steamed Potatoes with Parsley, and Crepes with Sauteed Apples
  • Wild Rice Pilaf
So here's to a new year and the delicious adventures that await!

No comments:

Post a Comment