Background

Monday, February 2, 2015

Secret Recipe Club: Chocolate Filled Brioche

So.
This marks the end of the first year that I have been a part of the Secret Recipe Club. 1 year of being assigned another blog and discovering the yumminess that exists in other corners of the internet.  I love it, even when I don't seem to have time and am scrambling at the last minute because of my own procrastination.
Thankfully, this month, I did not procrastinate, and am somewhat ahead of schedule.  Seeing as I'm prepping for a blogging event that also starts today, I've been working on recipes to tickle your fancy for a month.  That meant when I was assigned my blog for SRC this month, I had to find a kickoff post for #TripleSBites as well.  Then I realized that it wasn't fair to either post to do a ginormous cross-post (plus it would have been wicked long), so I have for you not 1, but 2 recipes from my SRC assignment today.  Come back after 9AM EST for the second post!! (and to enter the giveaway, and see all the great things that people made for the #TripleSBites kickoff)
This month, I was so excited to be assigned the wonderful blog Chit Chat...Chomp.  What excited me most was that Leigh does something that I am not always good about doing - commenting EVERY month on my SRC post.  I'm not nearly as good in my own commenting.  But I do appreciate that about her!
Leigh is an Australian girl after my own heart.  She and I both enjoy French food, and she started her blog to start actually using the cookbooks on her shelf.  In fact, she has a cookbook challenge that is somewhat similar to my own Magazine Challenge.  The recipe I chose here is from said challenge.
I thought about making Anzac biscuits, I mean, if you're going to use an Australian blog, why not make something truly Australian?  I also considered Lemon Meringue Cupcakes, because I love a lemon dessert.  But I finally settled on Chocolate Filled Brioche; partly because I needed something for breakfast and this sounded decadent and amazing, and partly because my other recipe from Leigh's blog used egg whites.
Yep, I ate these for breakfast.  J shook his head at me.  You totally want to live at my house.
I present to you now Chit Chat...Chomp's Chocolate-Filled Brioche:

Ingredients:
2 c flour
1-1/2 tsp yeast
1/2 c warm milk
3 Tbsp white sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 egg yolks
1/2 c butter, chopped into pieces
8 chunks of high-quality chocolate (I used milk chocolate)

Method:
1.  In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, stir together flour and yeast.  In another bowl, stir together warm milk, sugar and vanilla.  Add milk mixture and egg yolks to flour and stir until a soft dough forms.  Add butter pieces slowly, kneading until well incorporated.  Cover bowl and let dough raise 1-1/2 to 2 hours until doubled in size.
2.  Turn risen dough out of the bowl onto a floured surface and knead briefly.  Divide into 8 equal pieces.  Flatten each piece, put the chocolate in  the middle of the dough, and pull up the dough over the chocolate, pinching to close.
3.  Place dough in greased dariole, brioche pan, or muffin tin.  Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
4.  Preheat oven to 350F.  Bake brioche for 15-20 minutes until golden.  
From Chit Chat...Chomp

I researched what a dariole is because I didn't have brioche tins, and they sounded enough like muffin tins that I decided to try.  It totally worked.  I have few process pictures.  While the dough hook is fun to use, it's not fun to watch.  Once I started shaping and working, my hands were oily, and I didn't want to pick up my camera.  I didn't pinch them tightly, so the chocolate peeked through when it was raised.
They smelled lovely.  The dough was flaky and not too sweet.  And the chocolate?  Ohhhhhhh.....especially when it was melty.
Mmmmm...melty chocolate.  Perfect for breakfast.  Right?  Thanks Leigh!  I'll have to comment on your blog this month!!













8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! They look wonderful! Anything with melted chocolate inside and I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look absolutely amazing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum, those look AMAZING! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sarah - thank you so much for your lovely comments and I'm so pleased you enjoyed the brioche - they look amazing. I also see nothing wrong in eating them for brekkie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE brioche! The idea of using a muffin tin to make them is fantastic - totally going to steal it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Warm dough + melted chocolate = heavenly bites. These look and sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I won't be able to sleep until I have one (or 2?) of these chocolate brioche!
    I go to work in my kitchen right now.

    ReplyDelete