Background

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

So Delicious: Spinach Po' Boys

So.
Has it been cold where you are for the last few days?  It has been bone-chilling, so seeing as it's the weekend (and a long one at that), I have been running around the house wearing pajamas, not going out.  It's incredibly therapeutic, and I highly recommend it - especially if pajamas apparently make your kitten cuddle with you more.
J and I were looking for a soup to ward off the insane cold of the past little bit.  I pulled out the new soup cookbook that I got for Christmas, and didn't find a soup but did find a sandwich that caught my eye.  J even thought it sounded promising.  I decided that the sandwiches sounded delicious, and they needed a lighter, broth-based soup; so I made a quick chicken and vegetable noodle soup and these sandwiches.  Make these.  They're amazing.
From Taste of Home, I present to you now Spinach Po' Boys:

Ingredients:
1 loaf French Bread (12")
1 Tbsp butter, plus more for spreading
5 oz baby spinach
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 medium onion, chopped
Tabasco sauce
1/2 c mozarella, shredded
1/2 c old cheddar, shredded
Method:
1.  Preheat the oven to 375F.  Split the French bread in half and spread with butter.
2.  In a skillet, melt butter and add onion and garlic.  Cook until soft.  Add spinach to skillet and stir to wilt.  Add hot sauce to taste (I shook the bottle 3 times).
3.  Build the sandwich:  On the bottom slice of the bread, spread shredded mozarella.  Top with spinach, and then cheddar.  Top with the top of the French bread, wrap in foil and bake at 375F for 15-20 minutes.
From Taste of Home  (This is the cookbook I have)

J and I both like spinach.  I bought the big package and made creamed spinach for Valentine's Day, and then wilted the rest to make this.  The original used a lot more butter than this version, but based on servings I essentially doubled the spinach content and the cheese.

Almost ready for the oven.  I believe the bread was called a "batard".  Not too long, but nice and crusty.

I was surprised at how good this was.  Once again, I've been told I need to make this again, and I heartily agree!  The cheese makes them rich.  We also enjoyed the kick of the hot sauce and garlic.  Soup will ward off the cold, but so will these!

No comments:

Post a Comment