Background

Monday, April 20, 2015

Got Milk? 7: Chocolate Chip Butter Cookies

So.
J's favourite kind of cookies are chocolate chip.  The ones on the back of the Nestle bag; not a recipe I have ever made.  I KNOW.  When I announce that I'm going to make a batch of cookies, he hopefully looks at me and asks if they're going to be chocolate chip.  Usually, I say no.  There are so many interesting cookies to make!  
Speaking of interesting cookies, I have this magazine from 2009:
While it has bounced through 2 moves with me, I have never made any cookies from it.  Not so anymore!!  I have been flipping through it this week and finally found something that might satisfy both J and his chocolate chip penchant and me and my desire to make new things.
These cookies are reminiscent of shortbread, and are full of chocolate chips.  How could that be bad?
I present to you now Janis Gruca of Mokena, Illinois' Chocolate Chip Butter Cookies:
Ingredients:1 c butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 c flour
1 c icing sugar
1 c chocolate chips
Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 375F.  In a measuring cup, melt butter in the microwave for 40 seconds.  Stir in vanilla and let cool.
2.  In the bowl of a stand mixer, stir together flour and sugar.  Pour in butter mixture, stir until mixture comes together.  Add chocolate chips and combine.  Dough will be crumbly.
3.  Roll dough into 1" balls.  Flatten slightly and place on baking sheets.  Bake at 375F for 12 minutes, or until the edges are golden.  

The dough was very crumbly, but held together when pressed into a ball.  It didn't break apart when flattened.
See?
I got 12 per baking sheet.  I got 2-1/2 dozen out of the dough instead of 4.  I don't know...I don't think my cookies are too big.  
Delicious warm, and just as good after cooling.  They have a shortbread, melt-in-your-mouth quality that is delicious.  They're easy, and J liked them too.  I'd call that a successful afternoon of baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment