Background

Monday, April 13, 2015

Souper Sunday: Wonton Soup

So.
My bank account is running short.  The good thing about this is that I get paid on Wednesday.  The other good thing about this is that I am forced to use up the things that lurk in the back of my freezer from other things I planned to make and didn't quite get around to.  A case in point is this soup. 
According to the package, I froze the small, thinkly sliced pork loin almost a year ago after buying it on special.  My guess is I bought it because I was thinking of making this soup and then didn't have it on the menu so froze the pork.  Likewise, I had the wonton wrappers hiding in the back of the fridge behind the yogurt.  I'm not sure how long they've been there...probably a shorter time than the pork, but who knows?
Scary, isn't it?  Those things you buy and don't get around to using?  We try very hard here to not waste food, but there are times when something gets left too long and isn't safe to eat anymore.  Secondharvest.ca says that Canadians waste $27 billion in food every year, with 51% of that being wasted in the home.  Those are scary numbers, and ones I don't want to contribute to.  This recipe used up some of what had been lingering in my house too long.
I don't suggest waiting as long as I did to make this.  It's delicious.  Looneyspoons recipes always are.  I subbed pork for the chicken, but otherwise made it as is.  J and I both enjoyed it the first night and subsequent days for lunch.  And at the end of the day?  No waste.  It's all good.
I present to you now the Looneyspoons Collection's Obi Wonton Kenobi Soup:
Ingredients:
For the Filling:
8 oz ground pork
1/4 c green onions, minced
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp corn starch
1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 egg white
30 wonton wrappers
For the Broth:
6 c chicken broth
1/4 c green onions, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
Method:
1.  Make the wontons:  Combine all filling ingredients in a bowl, mixing well.  Place 1 tsp in the middle of a wonton wrapper.  Moisten the edges of the wrapper and fold into a triangle.  Moisten the 2 corners of the hypotenuse and bring together.  Repeat until all wrappers are filled.
2.  To cook the wontons, bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Add the wontons in batches, stirring to ensure they don't stick.  Boil for 5 minutes before removing with a slotted spoon.  Drain well on paper towels.
3.  Make the broth:  Bring broth to a boil in a medium pot.  When boiling, add remaining ingredients and simmer for 5 minutes.
4.  To serve, place 5 wontons in a bowl and cover with boiling broth.  Serve immediately.

I don't have process pictures.  My fingers were covered in floury/pasty residue from sealing wontons.  But I did have my trusty Spong meat grinder to make quick work of the pork.  (As an aside, I just googled "Spong Mincer" and discovered that it's considered an antique.  Heh.)
These boiled up quickly.  I did them in 2 batches of 15.
The cooked wontons look weirdly flaccid, But they're ready for broth.  I actually just dumped the water out of the pot in which I cooked the wontons to cook the broth.
Yum.  The broth was delicious, as were the wontons themselves.  Another Looneyspoons recipe for the win!

No comments:

Post a Comment