Background

Monday, May 11, 2015

Carrot Cake for Two

So.
You know what I love about carrot cake?  Everything.  You know what I don't like so much?  That it makes a 9x13" pan and I live in a household of 2 people.  I told my mother the other day that I'd made carrot cake, and her comment was, "I only make that when I'm having a crowd in."  I didn't tell her at first that this recipe for carrot cake made 2 servings, and J and I polished it off in 1 night.  I just told her it was really good, and once again from one of my favourite recipe sources, Budget Bytes.
This cake doesn't include any pineapple, but it's a buttery spice cake, and with the use of really good black walnuts, you don't need to worry about the missing fruit for deep flavour.  And when you're only making enough for 1 night, "moist" isn't something you need to worry about.  It even has real cream cheese icing.  How can that be bad?
I present to you Budget Bytes' Carrot Cake for Two:

Ingredients:
For the cake:
1/3 c flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 c chopped walnuts
1 egg yolk
1/4 c brown sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium carrot, peeled and grated

For the icing:
1 oz cream cheese
1 Tbsp butter, softened
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/2 c icing sugar

Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 350F.  Butter 2-7oz ramekins and set aside.  In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt and spices and nuts.  In a second bowl, stir together egg yolk, sugar, vanilla and carrot.
2.  Add dry ingredients to wet, and stir until combined.  Divide batter between the prepared ramekins and smooth tops.
3.  Bake cakes at 350F for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Let cool.
4.  Make the icing:  In a small bowl, stir together cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth.  Add sugar a little at a time until all incorporated.  Spread icing over cooled cakes.

From Budget Bytes

When I look at this picture, I wonder if I put the nuts in the wet mixture.  I don't know.  It was very thick, but spread easily.
See?  Ready for the oven.
They smelled so good.  Carrot cake was my father's favourite.  Neither J nor I would turn it down either.
I iced them while still a little warm, and we ate them immediately.  They were so good!  Another Budget Bytes recipe that we'll make again.

No comments:

Post a Comment