Background

Monday, August 10, 2015

Oven Baked Crispy Greek Chicken

So.
It's funny how sometimes you won't like a specific food in certain preparations.  I'm not big on raw tomatoes, but I have yet to meet a tomato sauce I wouldn't eat.  I probably have a longer list of things that I don't like than J, but when I do the cooking around here we don't eat the things that I don't like.  Mushrooms and shellfish don't make appearances on our table because of my tastes, and you don't see turkey very often, seeing as J can't stand it.  But there are a lot more vegetables that I don't like than J.  He's not fond of squash, and doesn't like cucumbers.
You would think, then, that I wouldn't make a dish where cucumber features predominantly in the sauce; and yet I did.  And even more interestingly, J liked it.  A lot.  I was told to make this again.  And it was fantastic.  I would recommend it for the non-cucumber eaters in your life too.
From the 2015 Milk Calendar, I present to you now Oven Baked Crispy Greek Chicken:

Ingredients:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup milk, divided
1 Tbsp grainy Dijon mustard
1 c cornflakes, crushed
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp flour
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
1/4 c crumbled feta cheese
1/8 c chopped dill
1/4 small cucumber, chopped

Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 400F.  Line a baking sheet with foil.
2.  Cut both chicken breasts in half to make cutlets.  Pound lightly to an even thickness.  In a small bowl, place 1/4 c milk and mix in mustard.  In a second shallow bowl, stir together cornflakes and oregano.  Dip chicken cutlets in milk mixture before rolling in crumbs.  Set on baking sheet.  Bake chicken at 400F for 25 minutes, until golden and cooked through.
3.  While chicken bakes, make the sauce:  In a small pan, melt butter and add garlic, cooking until fragrant.  Sprinkle with flour and stir until smooth.  Gradually add milk, stirring constantly, to form a smooth sauce.  When milk is added and sauce is thickened, stir in zest, dill, feta and cucumber.  Serve chicken hot, with sauce over the chicken.

Adapted from the 2015 Milk Calendar

I like cornflakes better than panko for crumbs.  They're crunchier, and hold up better to sauces.  Also, because I used a stoneware pan, I didn't grease or line with foil.  It's nice and non-stick as it is.  I also like the evenness of the heat with a stoneware pan.
This smelled delicious, and was equally as good.  I didn't go heavy on the cucumber, but we didn't shy away from it either.  I think the fact that it was a little like a hot tzatiki sauce helped J's liking of it.
But isn't this pretty?  And so yummy.  It also didn't take that long to throw together.  A quick dinner that's a little different.  It's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment