Background

Friday, August 21, 2015

Son of Magazine Challenge: Spinach-Stuffed Flank Steak

So.
I made this a while ago.  Like, I was still working awhile ago.  The problem with being inconsistent in my blogging is that things languish on my camera and get forgotten.  This is one of those recipes.
J and I both like spinach, and as a result I use it a lot in my cooking.  Spinach is a versatile vegetable, hearty enough to stand up to strong flavours, and healthy enough to make you feel virtuous.
J and I had this one Friday night after I went to the local butcher and had him butterfly the flank steak for me.  The filling went together easily, and the cooking time was relatively short, although we decided that slightly longer would have been better.  The second night, we were much happier with the level of doneness.
From the May 2007 issue of Everyday Food, I present to you now Spinach-Stuffed Flank Steak:

Ingredients:
2-10 oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1/4 c shredded parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 lb flank steak, butterflied
1 tsp oil
Method:
1.  Heat broiler with rack about 4" away.
2.  In a medium bowl, stir together spinach, cheese, vinegar, garlic and pepper flakes.  Season with salt and pepper.
3. Lay steak open like a book.  Cut several pieces of kitchen twine  and space evenly under the steak.  Spread spinach mixture down the center of the steak, and then roll, tying securely with twine.
4.  Cut the roll in half crosswise, and lay the rolls on the baking sheet, coating with oil and seasoning with salt and pepper.  Broil 8-10 minutes for medium rare.  Slice thinly to serve.

From Everyday Food, May 2007

Thanks to Gourmet Garden, the filling went together quickly.  I skipped the capers that Martha used, and I don't think the flavour suffered.
I would recommend having the butcher butterfly the steak.  Flank steak is a tougher cut, and it's not very thick to begin with.  Here is the steak, before being cut, tied and stuffed.
See?  It's pretty, but a little too rare.  The stuffing is delicious, and you don't want to overcook the meat, but slightly more done is better.  J and I both enjoyed this on a quiet Friday and Saturday night.  It was relatively quick to put together, and the flavour was excellent.  I've been told that we need to have this again, so perhaps when the weather gets colder.

No comments:

Post a Comment