Background

Monday, October 26, 2015

Brunch Classic: Buttermilk Waffles

So.
In the summer, I was stocking the freezer for the upcoming school year.  I was looking for breakfast ideas - things I could quickly reheat and eat in the morning before scampering off to school for the day.  I was reading my freezer magazine and came across a few waffle recipes that sounded good and different, seeing as I don't own a waffle maker and therefore never make waffles.
I did what any blogger would do who is cheap and suddenly has a hankering for waffles:  I posted a message on Facebook, asking my friends if they had a waffle iron I could borrow.  My friend Carrie (who I torment on FB with recipes that are "so easy even Carrie could make them!") got me by posting that she had one; which she totally didn't, and thus dashed my hopes briefly until one of my other friends who actually owns a waffle maker offered to lend me hers.
It was in this manner that I ended up making waffles at the end of the summer to freeze and eat during the fall.  I pinned a bunch of recipes and made a few.  This was the first, and as a starting point, these were fantastic.  They're light, buttery and delicious the day you make them and again later reheated in your toaster.  I totally recommend borrowing a waffle iron.
I present to you now from Sally's Baking Addiction Buttermilk Waffles:

Ingredients:
1-3/4 c flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs, separated
1/2 c butter, melted
1/3 c white sugar
1-3/4 c buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla

Method:
1.  In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Set aside.  In a second bowl, stir together egg yolks, butter, sugar and buttermilk.  Pour liquid ingredients over dry ingredients.  Stir until combined, but do not overmix.
2.  In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.  Gently fold whites into batter.
3.  Preheat waffle iron.  Pour about 1/4 c of batter per waffle into maker.  Cook, 5-6 minutes, or until golden and done.  Serve immediately, or cool and freeze, separated by waxed paper.
From Sally's Baking Addiction

The waffle iron I borrowed made 1 waffle at a time, so I spent a long time making an entire batch, but it was worth it.  These waffles were fun for 2 reasons:  1, they tasted fantastic and were so light and fluffy and 2,

We were eating Mickey faces!!

Thanks Tammy!

No comments:

Post a Comment