Background

Monday, November 23, 2015

Party Time: Raspberry Trifle

So.
The beauty of big family dinners is that they're often potluck.  Or perhaps that's just my extended family.  When you're the host, you provide the hot main, and the visitors provide the rest.  Last Christmas, my mom and I were asked to bring dessert for family Christmas.  My mother often makes a mincemeat pie with a sour cream top layer that people who like mincemeat love, and my aunt makes traditional Christmas pudding every year, so I was left to make something else.  You know, something light and decadent for the end of a large meal.
Enter the December 2006 edition of Everyday Food.  I saw this beautiful trifle and knew that I wanted to make it, but you need an occasion for a dessert that feeds 12 plus.  With frozen raspberries in my freezer, and my sad, sad sour cream pound cake, it was an easy decision to take this for Christmas.  By posting this just before American Thanksgiving, I hope you are inspired for your own feasting over the next few weeks.  This one's delicious.
I present to you now from the December 2006 Everyday Food, Raspberry Trifle:

Ingredients:
1/3 c sweetened flaked coconut
1/3 c sliced almonds
1/4 c dry sherry
2-12 oz packages frozen raspberries, thawed
2 tsp grated lemon zest
2 c whipping cream
1/4 c white sugar
Pound cake, sliced into 3/4" thick slices (I used homemade, but you could easily buy one)

Method:
1.  Heat oven to 350.  Spread coconut and almonds on a baking sheet and toast until browned and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Allow to cool.  In a bowl, combine sherry, raspberries and zest.  Set aside.  Beat cream and sugar until stiff peaks form.  Set aside.
2.  Line the bottom of a large trifle bowl with cake, cutting pieces to fit and packing tightly.  Top with half the berries, spreading evenly.  Top with half the cream and spread to cover.  Repeat layers, finishing with cream and sprinkling with toasted coconut and almonds.  For best texture, refrigerate overnight.
From Everyday Food, December 2006

I got a trifle bowl as a wedding gift.  8 years ago.  I have used it once, and that was for this trifle.  The nice thing about this dessert is it is really simple to make.  With a pound cake from the store, it would be even faster.

But where's the challenge in that?  This cake slices beautifully and has such a good flavour.  I lined the bottom of the bowl with slices, cutting to fit.

Then lots of almonds and coconut on top.
For a festive showstopper to feed a crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment